Friday, October 26, 2012

Week 4 Hobbies & Crafts

     So excited about this one, as I am a crafter. I work in stained glass and make cards.
My first search in stained glass was not a huge success. Not sure what I was thinking I'd find. Many hits for stained glass "looking" things like clay, fabric and even paper. For real glass hits, there were mostly hits referring to what we call hot glass, or fired in the kiln. I have done some of this, but not a lot. Narrowed my search to stained glass panels and started seeing better results. Many pdfs from the same couple of books, but still nothing from the standard glass magazines. (Stained Glass Patterns Quarterly, Stained Glass Quarterly or Art Glass World).
     If patrons are looking for instruction at a basic level the craft books are fine, or you could steer them to your local craft school. :) For the advanced glass crafter, the results aren't so helpful, reflecting the antique market and historical more than the crafter.
     I then turned my search to paper crafting. Here I hit the motherload! Wow. I think I will stay here for awhile.........phew! I'm back. I chose a patchwork card from Cardmaker magazine. It looks pretty straight forward with template and directions. Perhaps I'll post a picture if I can get to it this weekend.
The help section has the tutorial (which we just watched), advanced searching techniques, and most importantly, how to set up RSS feeds so the articles of interest come directly to you. Pretty neat, huh?!

1 comment:

  1. In reading your blog, stained glass must be so much fun and such a beautiful hobby!!! I've never tried anything like that before so Stained glass panels sounds fun and seeing that I would be a beginner, I would learn from what was offered!
    Thank you so much for posting!!! mary04001 :)

    ReplyDelete