Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Week 6 Business Resources

Greetings!
Let me apologize for being behind. Family emergency has kept me out of the loop for a few weeks. I am determined to get caught up and see what you all have been up to.

Week 6:
Business Source Complete:
      The first thing I noticed about the resources for FM radio was that there was a range of hits from popular (Billboard) to international (International Journal of Business & Social Science).  There were also hits for everything from the science of radio frequencies to broadcasting talk radio shows. The 2,441 hits are narrowed quickly and easily by sliding the date limiter from 1946 to 2009 . Now we're down to 369 hits. A bit more manageable.
     Using the visual search was much easier for me (and my limited knowledge of the business world).
It sorted my hits by subject area (radio stations, radio frequency broadcasting, etc) and then allowed me to continue my search by keyword groupings until I found my way to just 7 hits.  We call the groups "breadcrumbs" at school so that students can find their way back using the trail of key words much like Hansel and Gretal.

EconLit: 
Resources for small business 7 hits
resources AND small business 19 hits
None of the hits looked like resources for small businesses to use. It gave me results on the resources of small businesses. Not the same thing. Hmmm.
Small businesses AND EPA = no hits.
Small business AND EPA =2 hits.
Small businesses AND tax policy = 19 hits
Small businesses AND tax policy = 31 hits.
Goes to show that revising keywords constantly gleans the best results.

Regional Business News:
General Dynamics (owner of BIW)=1,650 hits since 1985.
General Dynamics AND Maine = 28 Hits
Toms of Maine = 35 hits (last article was March 2012).

Value Line Investments:
General Dynamics $64.65
The results were a chart of statistical information that looks very stock-brokerish.
Tom's of Maine = no hits (probably a private company)
L.L. Bean = no hits
Description: a widely used tool in the investment industry, including projections, performance, statistics and model portfolios.
The rest looks like calligraphy to me.  However, there are tools to create custom reports with the industries/companies the patron would like to choose, not just lists of premade reports.
This was way over my head, although I could lead a patron to it.

Wall Street Journal:
Small business AND health care retrieved 19800 hits.
Between 2010 and 2012 , 5429 hits.
Searching within the search / using the suggested keywords health care and small business reduced it to 11 hits.
Creating an alert: Review search details, define alert email & content, schedule its timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment