Friday, December 14, 2012

Week 10: Ebsco

Ebscohost:
This is one of our 'go-to' databases for information at the high school. I often use it to search library information. Recently, due to extreme budget cuts, I lost my subscription to Booklist. I searched today to see if it would be available. Although there is a fourteen day delay, I am relieved I will still be able to use it.
In searching for zinc in foods, the results were plentiful. Narrowed by the date limiter was helpful. The information was very academic and perhaps not a good fit for consumer information.

Ebsco Ebooks:
I looked at the highlighted books. Sea Glass Crafts caught my eye. I looked at the table of contents to find what types of projects were there. Holiday ornament...hmmmmm. I can click through the table at the left or use the scroll bar to slide through the pages quickly.
Not much impressed with the fiction collection. Seems that there isn't anything offered that was published since 2000. Good nonfiction collection, though. Plenty to browse through.
I searched "school library" and only found two books. One, by Stripling, is a classic which was published in 1999. The other was "Legal Research Using the Internet." Not a great hit. :(
I broadened my search to "libraries" and got 475 results. But, on further exploration, I discovered they were for anything with library in the series title. I would then suggest to my patron to use an advanced search.
For Constitution Day, I did not find any great hits. But, if  had to pick something, I might recommend the following:

Currie, David P. Constitution in Congress: The Federalist Period 1789-1801. Chicago:  University of
  Chicago Press, 1999.
Hahn, Carole. Becoming Political: Comparative Perspectives on Citizenship Education. New York :
 State University of New York Press, 1998.  
Smith, Steven D. Constitution and the Pride of Reason. Oxford University Press, 1998.

For Western History, I got 81 hits. Many of these were great resources, although quite specific. Plenty to keep the amateur history buff busy for awhile. I'd forgotten that trick of trying to  search by publisher for a regional search.

No comments:

Post a Comment